IC MONTE SAN VITO

La Madonna della Misericordia

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

La Madonna della Misericordia

Il dipinto La Madonna della Misericordia, di autore anonimo, è un’opera del 1551 attribuita alla Scuola del Perugino .

Al centro del dipinto è posta la figura della Madonna con in braccio il bambino

benedicente, vestita da un mantello sorretto da due angeli. La collanina di corallo che indossa Gesù indica il sangue che verserà sulla croce e Il panno bianco il sudario in cui verrà avvolto dopo la passione. E’ una prolessi, un’anticipazione di un evento futuro.

C’è una perfetta simmetria tra le figure poste a destra e a sinistra della Madonna, alle cui spalle è visibile un arco a tutto sesto, richiamo all’architettura classica.

Il mantello molto grande della Madonna è un elemento classico dell’iconografia del tempo, è un simbolo di protezione nei confronti delle figure più piccole che sono inginocchiate ai suoi piedi. Le figure poste sulla sinistra del dipinto rappresentano i committenti dell’opera:  membri della confraternita della Misericordia (detta dei sacconi), la cui sede era situata presso la Chiesa della Misericordia, oggi non più esistente. Essi erano laici , spesso benestanti, che volevano promuovere le virtù cristiane e aiutare gli altri rimanendo anonimi. La loro fede cristiana si manifestava nella gratuità del dono. Sulla destra abbiamo le donne devote alla Madonna, al centro delle quali è riconoscibile una nobildonna (l’unica vestita di rosso).

Il dipinto venne commissionato da Don Giulio di Cristoforo Giuli di Monte San Vito nel 1551, come indicato nell’iscrizione in latino posta alla base del dipinto.

 

The Virgin of Mercy

 

This painting, executed in 1551 by an unknown author, has been ascribed to Perugino’s pupils.

In the middle of the painting, the Virgin is standing with the benedicent Infant Christ. She is dressed in a blue cloak held by two angels. Some details are to  be considered really interesting:

The coral necklace stands for the blood of Christ. The white linen symbolizes the shroud in which Our Saviour was enfolded after the passion. It is a prolepsis, an anticipation of the future.

There is a perfect symmetry between the two figures to the left and the ones to the right of the Virgin. Behind her, a round arch, remainder of classical architecture, is to be detected. The outspread pallium of the Virgin is a typical iconographic element of the time. It portrays the mercifully protective gesture of the Madonna enfolding her followers kneeling at her feet in her mantle.

The clients of this work were the members of the confraternity of Mercy (the so called “sacconi”) and they are represented on the left of the painting.

The confraternity was seated in the no longer extant Chiesa dellaMisericordia (Church of Mercy). They were wealthy laymen whose aims were to promote Christian virtues and help the others in anonymity. Their Christian faith manifested itself in liberal donations.

Some women devoted to Our Lady are portrayed on the right of the painting. Amongst them it is possible to recognize a noblewoman, the only one in a red dress.

The painting was commissioned by Don Giulio di CristoforoGiuli from Monte San Vito in 1551, as stated in the Latin inscription at the base.